top of page
Radio Shack opened in 1921 by two brothers, Theodore and Milton Deutschmann, who wanted to provide equipment for the then-nascent field of amateur, or ham radio. The brothers opened a one-store retail and mail-order operation in the heart of downtown Boston at 46 Brattle Street. They chose the name "Radio Shack", which was the term for a small, wooden structure that housed a ship's radio equipment. At its peak in 1999, it had operated stores under either the name RadioShack or Tandy in the United States, Mexico, United Kingdom, Australia, and Canada.
bottom of page